About this project
Researchers at CLAHRC GM are working collaboratively with Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust to identify the end-of-life care learning and development needs of their local community, primary and palliative / end-of-life care workforce. To achieve this, a baseline assessment of the current levels of confidence and perceived skills to deliver end-of-life care will be performed. In doing so, we will work closely with Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust to identify key areas for the workforce to improve the current level of end-of-life care knowledge and skills.
Why is it important?
The End of Life Care Strategy (2008) outlines, caring for people at the end-of-life is one of the most important and rewarding areas of care, and healthcare staff having the relevant knowledge and skills is immeasurably satisfying to the family. Yet only a limited number of health and social care professionals have had a sufficient training around all aspects of end-of-life care.
Aims of the study
- Understand more about the level of awareness, knowledge and skills staff currently hold about end-of-life care.
- Identify the learning and development needs of the workforce.
- Perform a gap analysis to identify potential areas for improvement and work with Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust to identify suitable end-of-life specific learning opportunities to address areas of need.
Participants will be identified in consultation with Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust and the Oldham end-of-life partnership group. A survey will be used to collect data; this will be available in both electronic and paper formats to ensure that certain groups of professionals are not all=ienated. The data will be analysed and benchmarked against local and national end-of-life guidelines; this will be fed back to the professional groups and work with Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust to look at opportunities around their end-of-life training provision.
- A baseline of current end-of-life care knowledge and skills of staff
- Improved targeted provision of educational resources for the workforce
- A survey which can be used to ascertain end-of-life knowledge and skills of staff